My Brain's Gone Missing

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Do you ever experience forgetting name of someone that you face every day? Well, I do. I always forgot other people name and it takes me a few minutes to recall my memories. It was a classic example of LBS (Lost Brain Syndrome) a terrifying age-related phenomena that strikes when it's likely to cause maximum humiliation. This symptom always occur for those in the fag end of their twenties but it may happen to us.
It's easy to conjure up useless stuff like the words to crap songs and the name of presenters from TV shows,but faces, names and appointments can be real struggle. Psychologist Dr David Benton from University of Wales reassures us; " Everybody thinks they are forgetful. It's the nature of the memory that the only way you can function is to lose the vast majority of what you experience. Maybe so, but some people seems to getting worse, Kim ,29-years old PA says: I'm definitely getting scattier. I walked to work recently with the back of my skirt wedged into my tights like some crazy bag lady. A police car actually stopped and pointed it out! I never used to be such ditz."


REGAIN YOUR BRAIN : STEP 1

CEREBRAL SIT-UP

World champion Dominic O'Brien believes everyone can turbo-charge their memory,whatever their age. "You might exercises your body to fight the flab, but you should set aside 10 minutes a day to stimulate your mind too," he says. You can play SUDOKU, PUZZLE, RIDDLE or calculus exercises (hahaha). It is not only train your brain but also fun.

IMAGINATION WORK-OUTS

Recall thrives on strong visualization so develop your imagination. Dominic O'Brien recommends: "Think of house you used to live in and go on mental journey around it. Imagine the smells, the sound of creaking doors and how the wallpaper felt. Then practice it in different places,". However, for day-dreamer like me, I like to create a story (even sometimes it's not logic) in my mind also the dialogs and the progress of the story.

MAKE WEIRD CONNECTIONS

Although it sounds weird, making a slightly surreal connection with an everyday object stimulates your brain significantly. Try this out : picture different obscure items in different rooms in your house. Start in the bedroom, imagine a giant loaf of bread on the end of your bread . Next, you go to the bathroom and there's milk coming from the taps.It's look like you are in the Alice world. Try this to five items and gradually build up. Believe me it really works!

*** I need to get back to my work so I will continue in some other time. My final exam next week and I hope I can answer the papers easily..

SOURCES : 'CLEO'- JUNE 2008 EDITION.