Feminism vs Engineering

Friday, August 17, 2007

As a woman ( in transformation ) and as a student in engineering, I discover that in Malaysia it is still a rear thing. Society always identificate woman with a feminin job such as teacher, nurse, baby sitter etc. even after 50 years merdeka. When I maked my decision to study at Technical institute ( SM Teknik 1, Kuantan ) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, my brother object it. He thinks that woman is not fit with this job but I think it is unlogic opinion in modern world. Just like I expected, in my class there is only 9 girls and the rest are boys. The same circumtances in others class. I then realise that man when it comes about theory they are not so good but when we are doing our practical they are so great compared with woman. Someone said that is man power (Is it?) but I still stand with my principle that woman play a big role in engineering.
Why many woman still afraid in taking engineering as their profession? One of the accuse is they think it is unsuitable for them because this field need you to be tough not only phsically tough but also mental need to be tough. It is a stressful job with many works to do. Engineer always work outside and make overtime (busy) and this condition not suitable with the married woman. They have their own responsibilty to their family so as a woman I understand that every woman put their family as a their priority. The statistic show that engineer that resign early is a woman and the reason is to be a full time housewife. Beside that, as a engineer-to-be I donnot know any woman engineer that can become my idol. No inspiration at all.
Compared with woman in 5o years backward I think woman nowadays are so lucky because they get education, protection, accomodation and many others thing that our grandgrandmother lack of. All of this show that woman have get their right that the feminist had fight for. They know their right and bravely they shout it out. As a result they change woman socially. Woman's confident level and bravery increases also many woman become sassy. Involve in society and help our nation strive for excellence. This changes because of education and realisation.
I want to be an engineer but still my east (gadis melayu) attitude because how much woman progress and how tough they are better than man,they are still soft-hearted woman and tears still their weapon.